To facilitate the integration of immigrants into Portuguese society, the Portuguese language poses a significant hurdle within the immigrant community in Portugal. While some public schools offer free Portuguese language courses for foreigners, these individuals often face a waiting period of several months to gain admission.
Recently, the NIALP Intercultural Association Lisboa established a partnership with INOVINTER (Center for Training and Technological Innovation) to provide Portuguese language classes. The course, which covers levels A1/A2, spans a total of 150 hours. Each student is required to pay an appropriate fee to NIALP for participation in the program. The responsibilities of INOVINER and NIALP are delineated as follows:
- Facilitating the recruitment of qualified Portuguese language instructors.
- Supplying all necessary course materials and stationery for students.
- Managing day-to-day classes.
- Administering required periodic exams as well as a final examination.
- Evaluating and grading the overall performance of all students.
- Issuing valid certificates to students who successfully pass the final evaluation, which can be used for Portuguese citizenship applications.